Friday, March 9, 2012

Le Pecheur: Inteview!













I first learned of Le Pecheur a few months back when they sent along some songs written on a split single with J.C Satan. Since then the band have moved from France to London, released a new album and have a slew of tour dates coming up. New album 'Medieval Dreams' sees Le Pecheur's songs take full form with spooked guitars, echo heavy vocals and ramshackle rhythms inspired by all things psychedelic delivered with 60s garage rock savv-iness. Here is Pierre in his own words to tell us a bit more about Le Pecheur....

As there isn't a lot written on Le Pecheur let's have an introduction, who's in the band and what do you do?

There is:
Pierre (Guitar voice)
Caelan (Lead guitar)
Xav (Drums)
Clare (Keyboard)
Lucas (Bass guitar)

Have you been in or are currently in any other bands?

I was in a band called The Last Rapes of Mr Teach with Xav, but we kind of stopped playing. Caelan and Xavier also play guitar in their own band called Regal and Lucas plays in his psychedelic garage band called Strange Hands.

Why did you start Le Pecheur?

Because when I was in the The Last Rapes 3 years ago, I wanted to compose songs on my own. I bought a 4-track recorder and I started Le Pécheur as a solo-project. I didn't see it as anything serious, just a way to chill on my own and mess around with my four track tascam. We used to play a sort of happy garage punk with the Last Rape and I wanted something darker, more psychedelic.

Does 'Le Pecheur' mean 'The Sinner'? Can you explain the choice of band name?

Yes it does. I wanted a name in French and I liked this one.

To my ears at least I hear Garage and Psychedelia with a lo-fi approach in your music, is this accurate? What can you tell us about your influences to get to this sound?

Yeah you can say that. I used to listen to a lot of garage bands. Black Sabbath is a massive influence as well as Spacemen 3 and Sonic Boom. Bobby Beausoleil and Joy Division have influenced me and I'm a big fan of Country Teasers. I agree with Ben Wallers that it's better to record your music by yourself. I don't like the process of going to a studio and letting someone else record and work on your songs. I think that's why my songs sound a bit lo-fi. However, I'm getting better at using my recording equipment, so eventually one day my songs will sound like a U2 album...

Do you prefer playing or recording music?

When I started playing in a band 5 years ago, I preferred playing music, but now they're kind of equal. I've got 3 different 4-track recorders and I really like the process of using these machines. Recently, I bought an analogic modulation synth, which is amazing to play with and to record.

What's the most fun you've had playing a show so far?

It was few years ago, we played a gig in Belgium with the Last Rapes and Max, the bassist, was playing in a pram that he found on the road - totally naked...

What's the most memorable show you've ever seen?

Umm I don't know... Thee Oh Sees are incredible on stage, but I also like our friends the Magnetix from Bordeaux and a French band called the Feeling of Love.

You've recently moved from France to London - how are you finding your new home?

I like England. There's a different way of thinking, people are less arrogant than in France. It's nice to have a bit of change.

What would you say are the main differences between the French and English music scene?

I don't know. At the moment in France there's a lot of really good bands that come from the Garage scene. Rock music isn't in the french culture, it's not like in England where it's really popular, but it seems like there's not a lot of Garage bands in England. Maybe I'm wrong. On stage English bands always seem bored or pissed of to be there, like they don't care, that's funny. The French are more latin so they get emotional a lot, like really into their own music.

Is there anything you miss from France?

Yes, mountains, food (though I like a lot of English foods, you have great cheeses, great beers, great pies and stew and great cakes!)

What albums are you spinning at home at the moment? Any new bands you'd like to tell us about?

I've been listening to Wire a lot last few weeks. I used to listen to their album Pink Flag when I was 17, but I've discovered recently that Chairs Missing is really good as well. Prypiat is a new band from Lyon and they're really good. Maissa, who sings in this band, also plays in Sida, which is a really good band as well.

What's the future for Le Pecheur? Any projects, shows or releases we should look out for?

When I'm settled in London properly I'll record more songs. Our album, 'Medieval Dreams', is out and it received good reviews, which is nice. But we still have enough material to do one more album and a couple of seven inches, just need to find a record label. We're playing in London with Hunx and his Punx on 14th May at Upset the Rythm. After that we'll tour a bit in Europe at the end of May and then at the end of June with our friends Titan, a psychedelic group from Paris. And we're also playing in Amsterdam on 16th March in 2 weeks time, which is cool.

"I'm full of dust and guitars" - Syd Barratt, if you were sliced in half what would be inside?

I'm trained as an illustrator and at the moment I'm drawing a lot, so I'm probably full of indian ink and coffee!

Le Pecheur Bandcamp Facebook

UPCOMING SHOW!
Hunx & His Punx w/Radioslaps and Le Pecheur May 14th
@35 Stoke Newington Road, London N16 8BJ
Find tickets here



















(poster by yours truly)

No comments:

Post a Comment